Monday, June 8, 2009

alright, best of's! (or at least recommendations)

I get requests for food recommendations quite often, as people usually regard me as some form of a foodie. However, I can honestly tell you, I'm not much of one, I don't travel far and wide to look for the best food or anything. The real definition of a foodie is embodied by my neighbor KY who's done a whole series of food reviews on his blog (and he even gets invited to food tasting at various places, how cool is that?)

But anyway I digress. For the benefit of those who would still ask me for recommendations of where to eat and all that, I give you... my favorites. They may not be the best, but usually a combination of good quality and decent price.

Bear in mind, these are all from the Klang Valley area of KL, Malaysia, so, sorry Vancouverites and folk from other areas of the world. I apologize for not being able to include your area in this list :p

Another caveat - I don't eat very expensively, so there isn't anything here that would really knock you back much more than RM100 per person. The only meal which I've had that really cost over that was the Prego Sunday Bubbly Brunch at Westin Hotel KL and that was only because we got vouchers for it.

Best of (and some honorable mentions)

Hamburgers : Carl's Jr. (those without any location mean any outlets) (P/S:- I'm dying to try out the reverse pork burger at Ribs @ Oasis. Will do so some day. Will post results here!)

Chicken sandwich : Wendy's spicy chicken and grilled chicken sandwiches

Pizza : Pizza Uno (Centerpoint)

Italian : California Pizza Kitchen (KLCC)

Fried Chicken : Bubba Gump Shrimp Co (the Curve) - if Popeye's (TTDI) is anywhere near as good as it is in the US, it deserves a mention here as well

Steak : Castell Steakhouse (PJ)

Pork Chop : Ribs @ Oasis (BU4)

Budget Japanese : Sushi Tei (Tropicana City Mall)

Premium Japanese : Kampachi (Equatorial Hotel KL)

Korean : Ka Wha Korean Barbecue (Bangsar)

HK food : Causeway Bay (Low Yat Plaza)

Seafood (local) : King Crab (Tmn Megah)

Seafood (Western) : Lobsterman (SS2), Bubba Gump Shrimp Co (the Curve)

Sandwiches : Subway!

Ice Cream : New Zealand's Natural

Satay : Hj. Samuri (Damansara Uptown)

Nasi Lemak : a good one is Sea Park mamak (beside the Maybank)

Pan Mee : Bao Bao pan mee (Aman Suria)

Chicken Rice : Kam Heong (SS14 Subang or Kota Damansara), Ipoh Chicken Rice (Midvalley)

Porridge : Pork Porridge (just outside the OUG market)

Dim Sum : Hong Kee (Damansara Jaya)

Alright, that's all I can think of now. Any suggestions, comments or snide remarks, (or violent protests) leave 'em in the comments section.

3 comments:

Yeelian said...

Ooh! I have some to add! :D

Best Hamburgers! You might want to try The Daily Grind, Bangsar. They're famous for gourmet burgers, no burger there will set you above RM60 per head. The steepest would be the Foie Gras Burger at RM55. Plenty of other burgers at cheaper prices! It's AWESOME!

Best Nasi Lemak = Village Park! Village Park! Village Park! DU.

Best Steak = Jake's Charboiled!

Best Pan Mee = face2face. I don't know where the other outlets are, but I think there's one in DU. There's definitely one in SS15, they serve almost nothing BUT pan mee! Service takes a while though, but it's worth it!

Totally agree with Lobsterman :) and the Korean BBQ!!!

Happy Eating!
Yeelian

enochho said...

the Daily Grind looks good :) although RM60 for a burger (and I've never even had foie gras before!) is a _bit_ excessive. Would love to try that out though, and Jake's and Village Park. Which part of DU?

Don't particularly like Face2Face though... it's alright but I still think Bao Bao is much better :)

Korean BBQ before you go?

Yeelian said...

Village Park is in Uptown :) quite easy to find!

And YEAAA!!! Korean BBQ before I go! :D Woot!