Sunday, July 19, 2009

a trilogy of summer sci-fi

You know the summer is upon you when the blockbusters roll out week after week after week.

Got to watch three sci-fi movies (not including X-Men Origins: Wolverine) - Ster Trek, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and Terminator Salvation.

Of the three, I'd have to say that Star Trek was easily the best of all movies this summer. Or year. Or even ever. It took an ageing and ailing franchise and brought it to where no man has ever gone before (sorry bad pun). Well in other words it was epic. And I'm not easily impressed by movies. This impressed me and left me in awe. Can we have more, Mr. J.J. Abrams? Please? Pretty please?

Transformers 2 (for ease of writing) was good too, not very smart, and Shia Lebouef looks set to take over Keany Reeves' title as shocked dimwit of the movie world. And Megan Fox is, well, nothing really more than eye candy. But it's good entertainment, leave your brain at the door, and enjoy the giant robots battle it out (Sideswipe is still the coolest ever :)

Terminator Salvation just left me disappointed, despite a strong performance from Sam Worthington. Christian Bale just was disappointing and one-dimensional. The story left a lot to be desired, and I'm not sure if I'd like more of Terminator for be coming out.

Also, X-Men Origins: Wolverine (since I'm on a roll)... I'm a huge X-Men fan, and I refused to watch X3 because of the way they butchered the franchise in that movie. Well, this one was pretty good, and Hugh Jackman gives a good performance as always. I also couldn't _not_ watch it as my favorite X-Man, Gambit, finally makes an appearance. Too bad he didn't have much screen time, so can we do X-Men Origins: Gambit after Magneto, please? (Magneto is supposed to be the next X-Men movie)

Coming up... another blast from my past... G.I. Joe! Another one of my favorites from my childhood. I hope it's good...