Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ka Wha Korean Barbecue... again!

I just love this little place in Bangsar called Ka Wha Korean restaurant. It's not very well known, so thankfully there are no throngs of people there. Essentially, they have a set menu for lunch (but I'm never in Bangsar around lunch-time so I can't vouch for it) and at night, from 1730-2200 (that's 5.30pm till 10pm. I'm just used to using that format for time) they have an all you can eat promotion.

The new price for the promotion is now RM48++. Sounds a bit steep, but for an all-you-can-eat a la carte buffet it's alright, considering the stuff that you're getting. If you have four people, the fourth person gets to eat for half price, and if you have five, the fifth person is free!

I went just this past Sunday with my wife and some friends, celebrating a birthday (not mine). This is the third time I've been there and I've never been disappointed.

As usual, I was hungry, and my phone camera sucks, so no pictures. Since I changed from the Treo to the HP iPaq I haven't really been taking any photos simply because the digital camera on the iPaq is just so bad. If I ever get a phone with a better camera (or even an actual digital camera) I'll resume taking photos.

Some of the good stuff on the menu:
- beef rib eye
- pork belly (when done well, it tastes exactly like bacon :)
- chicken fillet (marinated wonderfully!)
- chicken drumstick (also with a very nice marinade, non spicy)
- bulgogi (not too fatty, and in a very nice gravy)
- pa jeon (korean pancake with squid and spring onions)
- marinated lamb shoulder
- mushrooms (they're wonderful barbecued!)
- raw beef, pear and egg yolk salad (I know it sounds disgusting, so I never tell people what it is until they've actually tried it. and then they all say it's wonderful)
- spicy beef soup
- fried glass noodles with beef/pork

the only thing I would give a miss the next time is the potatoes. They just don't really do very well on the barbecue. When they were finally done they were half burnt and simply tasted like burnt hashbrowns.

even with the new price, I still consider this one of the best deals in town :)


Ok, ok here's a photo from a previous visit to the place, with some of my church mates :)

Ka Wha is located at Jalan Telawi 2 in Bangsar and can be reached a +60-3-22847762. For ease of parking, I usually just park at Bangsar Village II and take a 3 minute walk over. Much better than circling around Bangsar trying to find a parking space!

No comments: